Controlling your stress levels is imperative to having beautiful skin. Stress can damage your skin in all kinds of ways, from increased acne to overall dullness. When we don’t feel vital, our skin doesn’t look vital either. In today’s world, stress lurks around every corner, so what do we do when we feel like we’re about to crumble under the pressure? Here are some ideas to relieve your stress and restore your vitality:
- Just breathe. Sometimes some nice, deep, belly breaths are all we need to bring our stress levels down a notch. A great relaxing breathing technique is to put your hands on your stomach and focus on pushing them outward with the breath you draw in. This helps you to fill your lungs completely as an antidote to the shallow breathing we tend to do when we are stressed. Hold the air in your lungs for a few counts, and release it slowly. Repeat this 5-10 times and you will likely feel much calmer.
- If you want to kick up the relaxation potential of deep breathing, add calming scents to the mix. Lavender is the classic go-to, with its stress-taming properties well known. However, if you don’t like lavender or don’t have it handy, orange, tangerine, clary sage and ylang ylang can help soothe jangled nerves as well.
- Stress often comes with tight muscles, and yoga can offer relief. Slow, gentle stretching can help loosen the tension in your muscles while the calming motions can help calm a tense psyche.
- Good, old-fashioned, heart thumping exercise is also a great relief for stress. Pushing your body physically and burning out pent up stressful energy can often offer similar benefits to yoga, but with an extra boost to your heart health.
- Guided meditation. Often, guiding your focus intently onto something other than what is stressing you out provides a great escape. Any type of meditation works wonders at taming stress, but guided meditation is particularly useful as it gives you an alternative to focus on. You can find guided meditations on YouTube, or they are available on several apps for both iOS and Android.
- Pamper yourself. Sometimes taking some time out of your day to pamper your skin can help break up tension and stress. Many pampering products have soothing scents, and the act of relaxing with a mask on your face or massaging moisturizer into your skin offers calming benefits as well.
The fast pace of life today can often leave us bogged down with stress and feeling perpetually ready to snap. For the sake of your skin, and your overall health, employ some of the stress taming tactics to help bring much needed peace and serenity back into your life.