There is a myriad of reasons to treat yourself to a facial. Many women think of facials as something unnecessary, or something you only do if you spend the day at the spa, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Facials can now be done with a quick visit to a spa, or better yet, right in your own home. From facial sheet masks to tubs and jars of premade masks, there’s plenty to choose from to suit your every skincare need. Some of the benefits of facials are:
- Deep cleaning – A facial can get deep down and really pull out a lot of the gunk that builds up in your pores to leave your skin clean and clear.
- Moisturizing – Many facials focus on moisturizing ingredients to help hydrate your skin more deeply than your daily routine may be able to do. Oils and other ingredients in the masks and peels involved with facials deeply nourish your skin to relieve dryness and leave skin supple.
- Less Acne – If you suffer from breakouts on your skin, a mask such as a salicylic acid peel can help clear up and prevent blemishes and blackheads.
- Exfoliation – Dry, dead skin can build up and collect on your face, clogging pores. The exfoliating properties of facials can sweep all that away and reveal the smooth, beautiful skin underneath. Facials may utilize physical exfoliators such as granular scrubs, or chemicals such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids may be used.
- Slow the Process of Aging – Scientific advances in skincare have resulted in the discovery of ingredients that slow or even appear to reverse the aging process. For example, ingredients like Vitamin C or Vitamin A derivatives can be used to slow the breakdown of collagen and encourage new collagen growth in the face, since the loss of collagen is a prime sign of aging.
- Improve Circulation – The facial massaging involved in facials stimulates circulation, bringing better blood flow to the face. The result is brighter, fuller, more youthful looking skin.
- Stress Relief – One oft overlooked benefit of regular facials is the emotional boost they can bring. Aromatherapy scents in the products provide a relaxing sensory experience while the massaging helps relieve tension. Just the act of taking the time to lie back and enjoy a facial can bring a great deal of relaxation and improve your mood.
The multitude of health and wellness benefits a facial can provide make them a great weapon to add to your skincare arsenal. A consistent routine containing 5 elements will give the best results:
- Use a cleanser appropriate to your skin type. Washing your skin every day with a nourishing cleanser is one of the most important things you can do to keep your skin in tip-top condition.
- Apply a toner to your face after cleaning. Toners help remove any final traces of dirt or makeup from your face, while also providing smoothing and clearing benefits.
- Make use of serums and other treatments. Freshly toned skin is primed and ready for products such as anti-aging serums or anti-acne treatments.
- Follow up with a moisturizer. All skin types need a moisturizer; the trick is to find the one that’s right for your skin. For skin that’s prone to oiliness, an oil-free gel moisturizer might be your best bet. Dry skin benefits from rich moisturizing ingredients applied both morning and night.
- Treat yourself to a facial. Once weekly, indulge in a facial, either provided by a professional in a salon, or simply pamper yourself right in your own home. Whatever your specific skin issues are, the right facial techniques, masks, and peels can provide visible skin improvement.
Our skin is the largest organ our body has, and it deserves to be taken care of as much as our heart and lungs and other vital organs. Following a proper skin care regimen provides the care and nourishment your skin needs to look and feel it’s very best.